These past few weeks, my entire family has been ill. Colds. Flu’s. You name it. We had it. Every night, my daughters and I would pray for healing. And sure enough, the day came when we all felt “normal” again. My oldest came running out of her room in the morning shouting, “Mommy! God healed my cold!”
*This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Now while it’s true that God designed our bodies to fight off illness and in essence “heal themselves” from things like colds and flu’s, sometimes we must pray and believe for healing when our bodies don’t know how to fight… or can’t fight. I think it’s safe to say that we all have personally experienced the effects of disease either in our own lives or in the life of a loved one.
And trust me when I say, I know from experience that it’s hard.
It’s hard when you don’t know how to cope. It’s hard when you’re exhausted from trying to figure out what’s wrong in your body. And it’s hard to cope with the day to day not knowing when and how your illness will end.
But there is also something else I know…
God is in the business of healing – spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
- Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
- And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed. – 1 Peter 2:24
- Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. – James 5:14-16
- But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. – Isaiah 53:5 (ESV)
- Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion. – Psalm 103:2-4 (NIV)
- Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. – Matthew 11:28
- And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. – 2 Corinthians 12:9
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. – John 10:10
- Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. – Hebrews 11:1
- This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. – Psalm 119:50 (ESV)
*Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations taken from the NASB.
**Photo by Ben White at ChristianPics.co