Making big decisions can be stressful. And more often than not, the Bible doesn’t have much to say regarding our specific situations. Is it the right time to get married? Do I have the finances to buy my first home? Should we start having kids or enjoy being “just the two of us” for a bit longer? What about my career? Is it time for a change? When it comes to decisions like these, we have to trust that God will lead in the right direction. We don’t have specific answers in the written word, but that doesn’t mean God isn’t ready and willing to guide us as we make difficult choices.
We are taught throughout God’s Word to place our trust in God. And in all honesty that makes sense when things are beyond my control. But what about the things I have control over? Does God care about my choices when there doesn’t seem to be a clear right or wrong answer?
I personally believe that God cares about every detail of our lives. If He knows how many hairs are on my head, then He certainly cares about where I go to college or where I choose to work. So how do we make these tough calls? We give Him our trust. We seek His wisdom. And we rely on the Holy Spirit to confirm in our hearts what God would have for us to do. The Bible also tells us to seek wise and godly counsel. And when all else fails, God will bless anything and everything we do when we do it for Him. If you make your choice with a heart that desires to please God, there’s no doubt you will succeed.
10 Bible Verses for When You’re Making Big Decisions
- Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. – Proverbs 16:3
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. – Proverbs 3:5-6
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
- The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. – Proverbs 16:9
- But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.– James 1:5
- Refuse good advice and watch your plans fail; take good counsel and watch them succeed. – Proverbs 15:22 (MSG)
- Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. – Psalm 119:105
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel. – Proverbs 12:15
- Listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days. – Proverbs 19:20
- Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. – Romans 12:2 (NLT)
*Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations taken from the NASB.