Anxiety is something we all face from time to time. Our worries eat at us, keep us awake at night, and steal hours (or days) of joy from our lives. Needless to say, it isn’t good for us to be worried all the time. (And medical science would agree with me.)
Anxiety hinders our relationship with God. When we’re worried about our daily lives, we become ineffective for the Kingdom. We grow so focused on ourselves that demonstrating selfless love towards others becomes an impossible task. Not only that, but anxiety demonstrates a lack of trust in God to take care of us. We not only hinder our relationship with our Father, but it also says to the world that our Father can’t be trusted. (And we all know that He indeed CAN be trusted!)
So when the enemy tries to convince you that you have something to be anxious about, here are a few truths and promises to help you combat his schemes.
10 Bible Verses for When You Face Anxiety
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
- Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. – 1 Peter 5:6-7
- “Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” – Matthew 6:31-34
- The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You. – Isaiah 26:3
- Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. – John 14:27
- In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety. – Psalm 4:8
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9
- Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. – Psalm 55:22
- Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span? If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? – Luke 12:24-26
- Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10
*Unless otherwise indicated, scripture quotations taken from the NASB.