When times are tough, it can be hard to declare that the joy of the Lord is your strength. Trust me. I’ve been there. When facing sorrow, struggle, or tragedy… the last thing you naturally feel is joy. But Paul reminded us in his letter to the Philippians to “rejoice in the Lord always.” Not sometimes. Not when we feel like it or when things are going our way. Always. But the one things we must remember about God-given joy is that it truly is just that… God-given. His joy transcends our circumstances and allows our hearts to experience His peace beyond all earthly understanding.
*This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
So if you are in need of some joy in your life, here are 10 Bible verses that declare the joy of the Lord!
- Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:4-7
- Whenever a woman is in labor she has pain, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy that a child has been born into the world. Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. – John 16:21-22
- A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones. – Proverbs 17:22
- And though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. – 1 Peter 1:8-9
- The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone. This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. – Psalm 118:22-24
- You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever. – Psalm 16:11
- If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. – John 15:10-11
- You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, that my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever. – Psalm 30:11-12
- Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting. He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed, shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, bringing his sheaves with him. – Psalm 126:5-6
- …And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. – Nehemiah 8:10
Choose joy and allow the joy of the Lord to be your strength in every circumstance!
Join us in the month of June as we study the joy of the Lord! Click on the graphic below (or HERE) to join our weekly newsletter and download this month’s Bible reading plan!
*Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations taken from the NASB.
**Photo by Ben White at ChristianPics.co